What will impact the cost of your bathroom and kitchen renovation?
And when they fit within your budget, it’s that much sweeter and more rewarding.
Proper planning ahead of time is crucial to knowing exactly what you’ll get for your bathroom and kitchen renovation cost.
Plus it also helps account for the surprises and extras which seem to creep into any kitchen and bathroom installation jobs.
What type of renovation are you interested in?
Breaking down your budget
Setting the overall budget of your bathroom and kitchen renovation is the (relatively) easy part.
Determining how that money gets spent is a bit trickier.
Use this handy checklist to get a better grasp of where your kitchen and bathroom design dollars will go.
- Labour: 20%
- Cabinet refacing: 8%
- Hardware: 8%
- Fixtures: 15%
- Faucets & plumbing (if applicable): 14%
- Countertops: 7%
- Flooring: 9%
- Doors & windows: 4%
- Wall & ceiling paint: 5%
- Lighting: 5%
- Design fees (if applicable): 4%
- Other: 1%
Six ways to control your remodelling budget
Follow these simple steps to make sure you get everything you want at a price you’re comfortable with.
- Separate between needs and wants: Figure out the most expensive necessities you need and work your way down to low-priority wants.
- Create a top 10 list: Look at your kitchen and bathroom and decide what needs to be replaced and why (for example, is your kitchen not fully safe for children?).
- Do your research: Know exactly what you want before you buy. That way, you won’t be uncertain about certain appliances, products or other materials.
- Get a quote: A free in-home consultation is the first step towards getting a project quote. When you finally get your quote, make sure it’s thorough and detailed.
- Check and double-check: Visit a showroom to see the products and materials in person. If possible, get referrals and references from past customers.
- Track your payments: Create a clear payment schedule and make sure to stick to it. Make sure you also account for unexpected costs too.
Other bathroom and kitchen renovation cost considerations
- Customization: Having custom cabinetry built or creating a unique mosaic backsplash tile design will add to your cost vs. other solutions like cabinet refacing.
- Unique accessories: Adding extras (like heated towel racks or a kitchen island) do add value to you home but they also add to your renovation costs.
- Inconvenience: Will your kitchen be accessible during the renovation? If not, you’ll need to budget for eating-out costs until the remodel is complete.
The “snowball” effect
What’s the “snowball” effect?
It’s when your renovation is really humming along and you say something like “well, if we’re updating the sink, we might as well purchase new PVC pipes too.”
It may seem like a small extra, but they can add up in a big hurry if you’re not careful.
If you haven’t accounted for it in your budgeting plans, make sure you give it a second thought before you say “we might as well do this too.”
Your new kitchen or bathroom awaits
Start with a FREE in-home consultation from Kitchen Gallery
Here’s one important budget item that’ll cost you absolutely nothing: Your FREE in-home consultation with our design expert.
We’ll come to you and talk about your kitchen and bathroom renovation plans in a no-pressure, no-commitment setting.
It’s just a conversation and nothing more. No decisions need to be made. No contracts need to be signed.
And no costs need to be paid.